My Date Journal & New Rules For Dating
Since I’m officially single again I decided to use this opportunity to write about my dates as I have them. I don’t really plan on doing any serious looking for men, but if I do go out, and I’m sure I will, I will be sure to tell you all about it. 🙂
Because of my lousy track record when it comes to dating, I have decided that I need to come up with some new ground rules to follow. Here’s the beginning of the list of rules. I’m sure I’ll be adding to it as time goes by.
- No sex on the first date. I have had a big problem with this in the past. I’m sure you’re not surprised by that little confession. 😉 Actually, the only men that I married or had serious relationships with were men that I didn’t sleep with on the first date.
- No going to the guy’s house on the first date. Why? See #1. If I want to go to a guy’s house then I probably like him enough to have sex with him, and I can resist anything but temptation. I don’t want to make it too easy for myself to end up in bed with a guy.
- The first date has to be planned at least two days in advance. This is merely to keep myself from rushing things. If a guy really wants to meet me then he can at least have enough patience and respect to ask me out a couple of days in advance. I’ve found that in the past when I have not followed this rule, I have regretted it 9 times out of 10.
- Always know a man’s first and last name before going on a date with him. This may sound silly, but I’ve actually had month-long relationships where I didn’t even know the guy’s last name. Knowing this kind of information is important, just in case he turns out to be a psycho or stalker and you have to block him from calling you or you have to get a restraining order.
- If using an online dating service, do not contact men first. This is another one that I’m guilty of not following and that hasn’t seemed to work for me. I think men like the chase too much and if I contact them first it kills part of the fun for them.
- If he cheats, it’s over. This one is sometimes difficult for me for two reasons. First, because I believe in giving people second chances, and second, because I have been a cheater before. I’m trying to change my ways though. I also know that people who cheat ultimately can’t be trusted. Another thing that I’ve learned is that I have to make sure that the person that I’m dating is on the same page as I am. If I want to be monogamous, then I have to tell the person and find out if that’s what they also want.
Ok, so there’s my first six rules for dating. Hopefully I can stick to them and avoid any more Manwhore or Skaterboi-type relationships. Like I said above, I will definitely be adding more rules as I go along. It’s difficult to think of everything I should and shouldn’t do now, so it will have to be a work in progress.
Happy humping! (Just not on the 1st date!)